Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Day 6 - Grand Canyon - Meteor Crator. AZ

    Sadly, this is our last morning @ the GC.  As he has every morning, Ernesto goes for a run on the canyon rim.  Bryon & I enjoy coffee & company & do  last minute packing up to get ready to hit the road.  I snap a few more pictures, we all have a final shower then it's time to hit the road.

Deer wandering through camp this morning
Taken from inside the camper as we are having our morning coffee

Do we REALLY have to leave?

Elk relaxing in the campground
Not the least bit interested in the campers



This space is used for ranger talks each night which we never manage to attend...next time!!
Also, for interdenominational worship services on Sundays.
  I'll bet that is something to behold!!
   We are on the road by about 10;30  We drive back down to Flagstaff & use our trusty Urban Spoon, this time to locate "Diabolo Burgers" - a cool establisment that prides itself on locally raised beef & man is it delish.  We meet some young hip locals & their dog (dogs welcome @ Diabolo Burgers!!) & share a table with them.  They give us what sounds like a great dessert tip but we are stuffed & there's no way we can eat one more bite.  We grab some gas, groceries & head to our destination, Meteor Crater, AZ.

   We are in another RV park & it's everything I don't like about these kinds of places.  Sometimes you just have to stay @ point B on your way from A to Z, I guess.  It's nice enough, I suppose.  It's gated & a security car circulates frequently so we feel safe.  And they've planted trees so that's nice too.  I guess it's unfair to judge this place in comparison to where we've just been.   I let the attendant talk me into a Good Sam membership.  This entitles us to discounts in RV parks, for gas at certain locations & @ Camper's World so I'm thinking it could pay for itself in pretty short order.

   The crater that gives this place its name is just down the road but they want $16 a pop to see it & we are just not into it.  The day is pretty blustery & bleak too which doesn't help the mood.  We just set up for the night & don't even bother to unhitch.

   This does give me the opportunity to read some of my library book that I've been too busy to pull out all week.  I'm reading A sense of Direction by Gideon Lewis-Kraus; a documentation of his time hiking the Camino de Santiago de Compostela (yet another bucket list quest.)

   We also have WI-FI again so we catch up on email & facebook.  Tonight's feast is tilapia, grilled corn, rice and wait for it......quesadillas!!''  We call it a night so we we can get on the road early to see the Petrified Forest before heading in to Santa Fe tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment