Friday, August 3, 2012

Day 2 - Albuquerque, NM - Flagstaff, AZ

7/24
3:00 am
   I was asleep before my head hit the pillow last night.  So why am I up now?  I'm worried about Lucy, our newest and tiny dog.  I think it is going to overwhelm  our house sitter to be available to let her in & out enough.  And she is not used to long days in a crate.  The older dogs sleep all the time so I know they are fine.  How can this be resolved?  My first thought is to drive back to OkC & retrieve her...  Okay, that's extreme, is there a better idea?  I toss & turn & drift in & out of fitful sleep until Ernesto wakes around 5:00.  Arizona doesn't observe daylight savings so 5:00 is like 7:00 at home.  We put our heads together & cal  Shelly, Lucy's foster mom who is able to pick her up & keep her for the week!!!  The feeling of relief floods my body!!!

6:00 am
   Bryon is up now too.  We begin the morning coffee ritual.  The T@B is equipped with a tiny kitchen & as long as we have hook-ups I can use the electric kettle to boil water for the French press, My favorite way to brew.  We take our time, enjoying the morning & each other's company.











     The T@B is a real conversation starter wherever we camp.  Most people look & a few stop by to ask questions.  An older couple travelling the West stops by & it turns out the lady is researching her family tree back hundreds of years & guess what??  She's got some Sanchez in her history.  Oh boy right up Ernesto's alley!!  She goes of to her camper & returns with a laminated scroll which she unfurls across our picnic table as she & Ernesto discuss the details.




   Soon we showered and hopped in the car to check out old Albuquerque before heading out to Flagstaff.  We got to town in a few minutes, found a spot to park & struck out on foot to see the sights.  The area we tucked into feels very much like Santa Fe.  We pass by many shops selling jewelry, too many it seems for a town this size to support but I guess they have a lot of tourism.  Albuquerque is famous for its balloon festival held each October.  Once we unknowingly tried to stop here on our way to California during the event & there was not one hotel room to be had for miles!!  

    There is an old cathedral which we toured.



   We then, stopped & had lunch @ the Red Feather Cafe,    I had a delicious bowl of the famous New Mexican green chile stew, delish!!  We had an 11:00 check out @ Enchanted Trails so after luch we headed back to pack up & move down the road.

5:00
   Change of plans!!  As we are heading to Flagstaff we drive through Holbrook, AZ.  Our plan was to stay here on our way back through to Santa Fe.  It sets us up to drive through the Petrified Forest.  But Lord, Holbrook looks bleak!!  I can see the campground where we are supposed to be staying & it just looks like a parking lot.  Thank God for iPhones!!  I pull up a place in nearby Meteor Crator that looks a lot better.  A few phone calls & we are set.  

6:30
Another long day's drive!!  We find the Woody Mountain RV Park w/a little bit of getting turned around.  I go in the rustic office to register & the manager follows me out to show us to our site.  In the mean time Ernesto has discovered we have thrown a lug bolt somewhere along the road today & is looking really nervous.  I say, "Let's just get settled for the night & we will deal with it in the morning.  Nothing is still open anyway."  
   Flagstaff is an anomaly in this region.  It is more like mountainy Colorado plunked down in the middle of the desert.  There are soaring pine trees that give this park its name.  We are tucked in to the end of a row of big campers.  We look like a dwarf among giants.  Although it is beautiful here I feel closed in, I wish they had laid the spots out with more space between.  Maybe I'm just fretting about mechanical trouble this far from home & it's making me unable to appreciate the beauty here...
                                              

It has rained earlier in the day & I need to put on long sleeves!!



                                               
  I had rented a documentary on my iPad so we watched it but Bryon called it a night about 20 minutes in & I dozed through the whole thing.  It is nice to have such a comfortable place to call home each night & I sleep like a baby.  


No comments:

Post a Comment