Wednesday, July 24, 2013

July 12 - La Plage!


All I want to do today is hit the beach!  We sleep until the decadent hour of 10:30.  How's that for jet-lag?  I woke up once around 11:00 & was afraid I’d never get back to sleep but I read for about an hour & drifted back off.  Ernesto wasn’t so lucky.  He was up a lot during the night.  At some point we drew the curtain across the solid glass sliding door that opens onto our balcony and the street below.  It is a little noisier here than what we are used to with traffic and people going all night long.  We enjoy coffee, croissants and pain au chocolate before lathering up with sunscreen & heading to Ruhl Plage where we rented chaises, umbrellas and towels. 

The “beach” here is pure rocks due to an underground river that continually pushes them up on the shore.  Walking barefoot is an excruciating form of self-reflexology.  I keep my flip-flops on until the last minute before plunging in.  The water is refreshing and I stay in long enough to cool down then flop on my chaise to read & people watch.  We are next to a lovely Italian couple and their young daughter.  Lots of languages floating around; German, Spanish, English, Asian languages and of course, French.  I was terrible in French in High School but amazingly I’m able to get by here.  This has more to do with The French’s command of English than mine of French.  I often hear people say that French people are rude & they won’t speak English even if they know how.  I have NEVER experienced this.  Once they hear me butcher their language they are more than happy to speak mine, LOL!  



Waiters are mingling through the crowd and we can order food & drink.  I opt for a genuine Nicoise Salad and a virgin mojito.  We spend most of the day dipping in & out of the water.  Ernesto really likes to get out and SWIM while I am more of a floater.  I make a mental note to pick up a raft next time we are out.  There are all kinds of boats from ocean kayaks on up to cruise ships in the harbor.  I am really enthralled by the luxury yachts & sailboats we see gathered out in the distance.  That looks like a really fun way to see the world!!


We call it a day around 6:00 & go in to try to see the results for today’s Tour de France stage.  We are not able to figure out how the TV works so I write the owners & we pull up what information we can on our tablets.  Chris Froome seems to have the yellow jersey all locked up.  We are fans of Alberto Contador who is more than 3 minutes behind at this point.  Each day Froome is bombarded by reporters with questions about doping.  The fact that he so easily dominates his competitors, yet still seems so fresh at the end of the day doesn't exactly help his case.

The Nice Jazz Festival is happening & George Benson is playing tonight.  We purchase tickets & stroll around looking for a place to eat before the concert.  Every place has seafood & I have a kilo of mussels, delicious!  George puts on a great show closing with “On Broadway” and we walk home after midnight  hoping for a good night’s sleep.  Meanwhile the city shows no signs of shutting down anytime soon.  




No comments:

Post a Comment